Sunday, August 27, 2006

Come to Jesus


Emma and I were reading a children's book about Jesus the other day. In the book, it tells about the time that the disciples told the children to go away and leave Jesus alone. The book says something like, "But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come unto me. All people should have the faith of a little child."

Emma and I have read this book many times. Over and over in fact. Probably a hundred times in the past 2 years. But this time seemed different. After I finished reading this page, Emma looked at me and said, "Mama, I come to Jesus too?" Wow. Out of the mouth of babes! I tried not to cry as I gave her my answer. Nonetheless, tears sprang into my eyes. "Yes honey," I said, "You can come to Jesus too. Jesus loves you." "Yep," said Emma. "God made me too."

That was the end of the conversation for a few minutes. But a while later, Emma brought the subject up again. "Mama, I want to see Jesus."

"Hmm," I thought. How do I explain this to a three year old? "Well, you can't see Jesus with your eyes right now, but you can pray to him. When we pray to Jesus, we are talking to Him. He hears what you are saying to him." I could tell she wasn't buying it.

"But I want to see Jesus Mama, please!!!!" Again, I was stumped.

"Well Jesus is here with us right now. He's everywhere, we just can't see him with our eyes." I thought I'd try a new tactic.

"No He's not," Emma exclaimed emphatically!

"He's not?" I asked.

"No, Mama! He's not in my toys!" She stated in a way as if to say, "Don't be so silly Mama!"

Well I don't remember how the conversation went after that but I do know she's been very interested in watching the Jesus Film the past few weeks. And it all makes me think about my own life. Children are so literal, and their thinking is so simplistic. Emma's never seen Jesus, but she knows he exists. I realize that right now, there might not be a huge distinction in her mind between Jesus and, say, Dora the Explorer. They both seem real to her. But I sense that she does know that Jesus is special. And Jesus says that all people should have the faith of a little child. Kind of makes me realize that I need to get back to the simpleness of my faith. I need to set aside the complexities of life and just enjoy who Jesus is again. And in doing so, I hope to demonstrate a faith that will inspire my children to develop the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder and sweet story-you made me cry! The kids and I have had the same talk over and over( about not being able to see Jesus) I think they believe so easily that they can't understand why they can't see him with their eyes! Love you, and when am I going to see you?!

Chanda Canup said...

hey girl! that's such an encouraging aspect of raising children--and the greatest sense of peace when we hear their desire for our Lord. I think it's wonderful that Emma is already so mindful of Jesus...I can't wait to see Him either!