Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving has past, Christmas is coming, and I'm finally getting some sleep!

Boy the days are just flying by. Thanksgiving was almost a week ago and Christmas looms ahead with just 28 days to go!

Last week we went to my Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving. We had a great time. It was a small get-together; just my parents, my brother, and us. After dinner, my grandma and aunt and uncle came over for a while. Even though we had just stuffed ourselves a few hours before, we found ourselves pulling out the leftovers for another round. Whew! I ate so much, I shouldn't be allowed to eat for a long time! We ended up staying in a hotel for both nights that we were there. Fortunately I got to use up most of the hotel points that I had earned back in my retail buyer days. Two free nights! It can't get any better than that.

We came back on Saturday, just in time for me to work the evening shift. Uggh! I can't stress how much I am looking forward to being done at this job. Late nights (ie, 1am!) are getting harder to handle, especially when I have to get up at 7 am the next day!

The most exciting thing around here the past few days is the amazing achievement on my one-year old's part of SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!! I think this is actually beginning to be a habit, as she has managed to do this the past two nights. Now I realize that the majority of the population manages to get their children to sleep through the night anywhere between 6 weeks and 3 months.

A few months of interuppted sleep is rough, but can be managed. But this is not the norm in my family. Nope. Neither of my girls have slept through the night before their 1st birthday. I know, just let them cry when they wake up. Easier said than done. Maybe it's a result of the extreme colic that they BOTH had, but their crying gets on my last nerve in about 2.5 seconds. I just can't handle it!

So, for the past, oh, 15 months or so, I have not sleep more than 3-4 hours at a stretch. Nobody sleeps well the last few months of pregnancy, and Ella's 12.5 months old, so there you go. But finally, I'm getting some sleep. I almost don't know how to handle it! I wake up before Ella does, and just lie there, waiting for her to start crying. I'm sure it won't take long for my body to start enjoying an normal sleep pattern again. I'm just so thankful that Ella didn't wait as long as Emma to start sleeping well. Emma has her beat by another 6 months! Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God Bless you honey - I remember those no sleep days and I know how wonderful it feels to start feeling semi rested again. May the pattern continue!

Chanda Canup said...

One of those things that helps us avoid the "no more babies" blues.
I guess we should live it up--some day they'll be teenagers, and we'll lose even more sleep!