Friday, February 09, 2007

Five Things People Don't Know About Me

I was tagged for this by
Rhonda a few weeks ago and I either keep forgetting about it or I just don't know what to write. But I finally decided to sit down and just get it done. After all, there must be 5 things that most of you don't know about me. And family and best friend, you don't count. The things you guys don't know about, I don't think I want to share with the rest of the world. So here we go.

1. I lived on a sailboat/trawler for 6 months when I was 12/13 years old. My family (i.e. parents) decided to take a Sabbatical (literally, that was the name of our boat) and travel from Muskegon, MI to Ft. Myers, Florida. It took us about 6 weeks to get down to Mobile, Alabama. We then hired someone to get the boat to Bradenton, Florida (if I remember correctly) and we took it from there. We spent the next 4 months coasting the shores of Florida. Oh yeah, somewhere in there we decided that the sailboat was too small for a family of 6 and we traded it in for a trawler. All in all, we lived aboard from July-December before returning to home. I think every spring break, summer, and Christmas break was spent on the boat (which we kept in Florida) for as long as I remember. The boat finally got sold when I was in college and my parents have since turned in boating life for RVing. To check out their current adventure,click
here.

2. I've secretly always wanted to play the drums. For as long as I can remember, I've been tapping out rhythms while sitting in class at school, driving, or even while holding hands with my husband, which I think really drives him crazy. And not in a good way. Anyway, I remember being facinated with the members of the drum line in high school, but I was in choir, having left behind my career as a clarinetist in junior high. I must have been playing the wrong instrument, because had I been given the opportunity to play the drums, I'm sure I would've been a natural.

3. I have an extreme dislike of pickles, relish, and most condiments. I cannot explain this, and I am often mocked for it by family and friends. Seriously, it is only because of my undying love for my hubby that I even allow these items in my fridge. Imagine my distress when I discovered that my eldest daughter has a particular fondness of mayo! Uggh! Again, this is not a rational thing, but it's been a characteristic of me since I can remember. I remember going to a friend's house with my family for dinner, probably when I was around 4 years old. Her mom had fixed bologna sandwiches (which was her first mistake!) and I was highly distressed to find that she had also put mustard on mine! I began to whine and complain, but after some harsh whispering in my ear by my mother, I suppose I ate the sandwich. Had I ever eaten mustard before? Probably not. Was I sure I didn't like it? Absolutely! To this day, I CANNOT STAND yellow mustard, although I have developed a taste for the good stuff, i.e. dijon and spicy mustard.

4. I made it all the way to my 3rd year in college before receiving an "F" on any paper/test/assignment in my school career. Actually, I had never received anything less than a C, and trust me, the "F" did not go over well. It was my first exam, my mid-term to be exact, in Systematic Theology 101, taught by none other than Dr. Mayer. These tests were ruthless, filled with about 25 T/F (which is a horrible way to test someone! Dr. Mayer delighted in making sure that the sentence was mostly true except for one minute detail), and 25 multiple choice questions. I studied for DAYS for this test, only to fail this. I got my grade right before chapel and I remember being in tears for most of the chapel session.

5. While living in Chicago, I walked by Oprah twice in a 6 year period. Ok, that sounds like I am facinated by her, but I'm really not. The first time I was in Marshall Field's at Water Tower Mall, and this woman walked by me. I remember looking at her and thinking, "Boy that woman looks really familiar." As soon as she passed me, it hit me. That was Oprah! The second time, I'm afraid I didn't even realize it was her. I was training for the 2000 Chicago Marathon and my training group was running along Lake Shore Drive. We were at Oak Street Beach and I was really still half asleep. It was 6 am for crying out loud! Well, we ran by a group of people who were lacing up their shoes to go for a run, and someone yelled out, "How far are you guys going today?" Everyone in my group got really excited and yelled back somethinkg like, "20 Miles!" The woman yelled back, "Make it a great one!" Everyone in my group started cheering and then I finally heard someone say, "I can't believe we saw Oprah getting ready to run." And I said, "What? What do you mean!" It was then that I realized who we just ran past. But of course we were running during this whole time, so by the time I realized it, we were too far past her for me to get a good look.

Ok, that's enough about me for now.

I tag
Sammy, Chanda, and Julie. You guys are up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I got off the phone and couldn't sleep. Anyway, I saw this on your blog and when I think of something interesting--make that 5 somethings interesting, I'll post it. Yours are really great; I'll have to say I'm a little intimidated. Oprah?! Come on! I can't compete with that!!!:)

Chanda Canup said...

UPDATE:
I did it. Yay, I feel like singing the Dora song!

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm not sure what all this tagging is but I assume I'm supposed to list 5 things about myself? and I'm way behind on reading your posts-your about to get a bunch of comments from me!btw, I smiled a lot at the relish/comndiment section!