Sunday, April 06, 2008

Katelyn

When I was in elementary school, I remember a particular fund-raiser that we did each year. It was a "Math-A-Thon" put on to benefit St. Jude Children's Hospital.

The idea was to have people sponsor us to complete a booklet of math problems. Some people gave 5 or 10 cents a piece per problem, some gave a flat donation. I distinctly remember sitting at the dining room table, working on this workbook, aiming to collect those donations. I also remember my Grandma helping me work the problems one year. She was a retired elementary school teacher and loved that sort of thing. I think she sponsored me for 2 cents per problem, with a total of 100 problems to complete.

I never knew back then that I would one day know someone who is a patient at that hospital. I never imagined that my efforts as a child would benefit a hospital that would one day work to save the life of a precious friend. That is what, sadly, I have learned is true today.

Katelyn and her sister Amanda were my daughter Emma's best girlfriends for the first 4 years of her life. Since she's nearly 5 years old, that's most of her life! A year ago, Emma's good friends moved to Memphis because of their dad's job transfer. I really believe God was looking out for them. St. Jude's is located in Memphis, and so it was natural that when 4 year old Katelyn was diagnosed with leukemia a few days ago, that is where she was sent. I'm not sure of any more details than that, but I wanted to put the word out to PRAY. Pray for this little girl who will, without a doubt, go through some very difficult things in the days to come. Pray for her family, who needs strength more than ever. Pray for me. Katelyn's mother is a good friend of mine. She was the first friend I made when we moved here a few years ago. Pray that I would know how to be the best friend that I can be to her at this time. Thank you.

No comments: